On November 1929, the city of Tallahassee broke ground on Dale Mabry Field, with 90 days to complete Tallahassee first airport. It became a U.S.Army Air base on January 24th, 1941 complete with barracks, hospital and a bowling ally. It played an important role in War World 2 by training many of the people who were fighting in it. It was named in honor of, Captain Dale Mabry, who died in a plane crash flying the Roma in Norfolk, Virginia. Military activity began during October of 1940 when they started building the first railroad. It drastically grew in War World 2 from 530 acres to 1720 acres along with 133 buildings. Aircraft and military men arrived in May of 1941 to begin training on planes such as P-39s, P-40s, P-47s, and P-51s. Many of the population also included Chinese and French who came to Dale Mabry Field in order to finish training that was needed in War World 2.
Surrounding areas like Sopchoppy and Alligator point and trained in gunnery’s and bombing range for training. When the war ended they anticipated many veterans would want to go to school so they created a GI Bill. After the war ended Dale Mabry Field placed on “inactive status” in July of 1945. P this plain grassy field was sold of in parts of Dale Mabry Field in order to build places like Tallahassee Community College, which currently stands on the northwest and southwest end of the field, which is now located, near appleyard drive.
Many other facilities like Florida Highway Patrol, and many other institutions. This field and its historical past have been lost in time. With thousands of people living in this area and no one knows of this field and it significance to history.